The Pavement Condition Index (PCI) is a numerical standard utilizing value range from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) to describe the current condition of concrete and asphalt pavements. This rating system provides an accurate reporting of the pavement’s current condition as well as data for predicting expected pavement needs years into the future.
The PCI’s findings are derived from multiple data points collected by technicians in the field, entered into the system, and algorithmically analyzed for consistency and accuracy.
The PCI Management Tool will:
- Be conducted by a Pavement Expert
- Identify and score severity of distress
- Help determine maintenance vs. reconstruction
- Costs and budgets for one or multiple years
- Provide a spreadsheet for easy calculation and update
Pavement Exchange Group will interview and vet clients for expectations, then customize the PCI to the clients benefits and needs. Our goal is to exceed expectations and provide a great forecasting tool.
Below is a visual of the PCI
Originally developed by the Army Corps of Engineers, the PCI is utilized by the Department of Defense to provide an accurate analysis of paved surfaces such as roads and runways, allowing them to properly forecast costs, prioritize, and allocate funding for pavement maintenance and repair projects. This consistently accurate report is indispensable for managing the condition and performance of paved surfaces, exposing under-reported issues and in identifying easily addressed repairs before they become catastrophic.
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards conformed to by the PCI method are:
- ASTM D5340 – 11 | Standard Test Method for Airport Pavement Condition Index Surveys
- ASTM D6433 – 11 | Standard Practice for Roads and Parking Lots Pavement Condition Index Surveys
Both of these measuring standards have sufficient provisions for estimating the pavement distresses that could be any bumps or sags, swelling, cracking, and other types that bring down the quality of the pavement.
Benefits to you?
Each PCI evaluation provides a customized, site-specific pavement audit which leverages your management efforts by:
- Identifying current conditions, potential distresses with recommended repair and maintenance regimens.
- Assessing current pavement sections against current or future changes in load, traffic volume and pavement use.
- Assisting in monitoring and tracking pavement conditions over time.
- Providing forecasts which assist in budget allocations and create leverage in negotiating acquisition and leasing terms.
- Creating more time for you to attend to the other needs of your facilities.
Contact us today
The Pavement Exchange Team expertly gathers the information on your facilities so that your custom PCI evaluations provide you with both current conditions as well as a baseline from which to manage the future performance and costs of maintaining your paving surfaces. Visit our website www.PavementExchange.com to schedule your PCI evaluations today, or call us at (855) 506-7251 | (704) 364-3725